Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Mailbox Makeover

About a month ago, my sister asked me if I could make her a mailbox decal showing her address. She had just gotten a new black mailbox after a snow plow had taken out her old one. She sent me a couple examples of things that she kind of liked off of Etsy. Then, her husband chimed in with "make it have a fox!" He thought this was very clever because they live on Foxford Drive. I wanted to make sure it still looked somewhat classy while incorporating the fun aspect of the foxes. I came up with a couple options and my sister chose her favorite.

This is what we came up with!

Before:

After:

I created this design on Cricut Design Space and then cut it using my Cricut. I made sure to cut two of them so that one could be applied to each side. Then, I weeded them and brought them to my sister's house. I used Duck brand clear contact paper to transfer the design. Here are the steps I followed to apply the design.

1. Clean the mailbox thoroughly with alcohol.
2. Remove the backing and position the design where you would like it. Use the scraper tool to ensure the design is stuck to the mailbox.
3. Carefully and slowly remove the transfer sheet. Make sure to pull at a 180 degree angle. If you pull directly toward yourself, the design is more likely to come off and not stay on the mailbox while you're removing the transfer sheet.
4. At this point, I lightly rub the design again to make sure it is really stuck on there.

Since mailboxes are outside (duh), I like to look at the forecast and make sure there is no rain predicted for the next 48 hours or so. If there is, I'll either wait for a better time or like I did with theirs (since my sister lives 2.5 hours away from me), I applied the decal on Saturday after their mail had already been delivered, put a large trash bag over the top and tied it in place using string. I instructed them to just take the bag off Monday morning before they left for work. The decal is still sticking nicely and they have the best looking mailbox in their neighborhood. This is such a simple way to add a little curb appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...

Hocking Hills State Park

A couple weeks ago, we decided to take a weekend trip to Columbus, Ohio for my son’s 11th birthday. Our whole trip started because we just H...