Search This Blog

Sunday, December 20, 2020

It's Christmas! Day 20: DIY Decor

It’s Christmas! is a 25 day blog and vlog segment that I’ll be doing this December to bring you crafts, reviews, and ideas to make your Christmas season even more fun this year (especially, with this pandemic thing we’re all trying to navigate).

Hopefully, my family can inspire yours to not let this crazy year ruin the holiday season for you.

Today, we are making some DIY decor. I know this is supposed to be all about Christmas, but technically, this craft is not Christmas related. However, for me, it kind of is. This is a present that I will be gifting to someone. That being said, you could easily use more "Christmassy" colors for your sign and have it say "Merry Christmas" instead to make it a Christmas decor item. So, let’s get started.

First, we need to gather our supplies. We’ll need a wooden sign with frame. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. I used my 40% coupon and snagged this one for under $14. It measures just under 2 feet by 16 inches. We’ll also need some vinyl, a Cricut machine, some transfer paper, a hot glue gun, ribbon, and some greenery.

First, we’re going to make and cut the design we’ve chosen with our Cricut. My dad is redoing a home in North Carolina and wanted some decor for when he goes to sell it, so I’m making this sign to gift him that he can just leave there. The design I was making was larger than my 12-inch mat could handle. If you have a 24-inch mat, you'll be fine, but I don't have one so I had to break my design into two pieces before cutting.

I am now going to put my design on my transfer paper and then carefully try to transfer my design to the wood. I actually messed this part up and put it on crooked, but I did my best to save it.

We want to now add some greenery to the top of our sign to make it look nice. Since I made a sign that has North Carolina on it, I decided to use dogwood since it’s the state flower. I’m just going to hot glue it into place and then add a bow to cover our hot glue spots.

After that’s done, we’re ready! It’s time to gift this piece and hope it makes the home a little brighter.

Never stop creating!

And as always, from my family to yours, Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...

Hocking Hills State Park

A couple weeks ago, we decided to take a weekend trip to Columbus, Ohio for my son’s 11th birthday. Our whole trip started because we just H...