Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Making the first day of homeschool special

First, let me just wish my husband a wonderful Happy Birthday! He never reads my blog, but I just appreciate him so much!

Now, since this was our first full year doing homeschool, I wanted to make our “first day of school” special. And I think it worked! We had a great day getting the hang of things. Here’s what we did:

We started with a mini photo shoot. You know, your typical “first day of school” pictures with the parents.


Then, we headed out to The Original Pancake House for breakfast. Owen was thrilled to have chocolate chip pancakes before our school day started.


When we finally made our way down to our classroom, I had put streamers up on the doorway and filled the room with balloons. I hung a poster that said “Welcome to 4th grade”.


We started with a welcome letter that I had written to him to tell him how excited I was about this upcoming year. I wanted to have a printed letter that he could stick in the front pocket of his binder so that he could look at it any time he wanted.

While we did spend most of the day learning, I wanted to have some fun breaks in our day with a couple useful crafts. The first one was a bookmark that he could decorate to use in his book for morning reading time. He loves to draw and color so I thought this would be a great break between lessons. The second craft he worked on was a little pouch that he could glue together and color to hold his reward dollars that he will earn throughout the year to buy fun stuff.

Overall, we had a great day! It was a great introduction to our school year. It was a special day that deserved to be celebrated. And we did just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...

Hocking Hills State Park

A couple weeks ago, we decided to take a weekend trip to Columbus, Ohio for my son’s 11th birthday. Our whole trip started because we just H...