Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Lukow Loot: Our Homeschool Rewards System

While my son and I are away on our roadtrip, I thought I would tell you all about how our rewards system for homeschool is going to work.

In most schools, they have a rewards system where kids can earn some kind of cash (it was cape cash and then puma paws at my son's old school) for doing great things. Then, they could spend that "money" on special activities like playing on the Wii during recess or eating lunch in the classroom or sitting in the teacher's chair all day and many more options. Sounds great, but certain teachers would NEVER give them out and some people would give them for absolutely no reason at all and for everything.

So, when we started homeschooling, I decided to do my own version. The biggest difference is that we have definite rules about how they will be earned. For instance, my son will earn a certain amount of "money" based on how much time he spent reading that month. That way, his choices directly affect how much he earns. I definitely want to teach my son that the harder you work, the more you earn. Then, he can spend his earnings on things like going out for lunch, special snacks, or a free-write day during Writing.

The name we came up with for our "money" was Lukow Loot. I then designed something on Design Space and used my Cricut to cut it out.


Now, they sit in a wooden treasure chest ready to be collected by my son.

Do you use some kind of rewards system for your homeschool? Tell me about it in the comments. I'm always looking for new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...

Hocking Hills State Park

A couple weeks ago, we decided to take a weekend trip to Columbus, Ohio for my son’s 11th birthday. Our whole trip started because we just H...